Happy Labor Day everyone! I hope you're enjoying an extra day off. I sure am. I've been cooking up a storm this weekend and there are tons of leftovers to prove it. I've also been binge-watching Chicago P.D. With fall premieres right around the corner, I'm catching up on all the shows I slacked on. Anyway, today I have a little interview with one of my sponsors. Her name is Shana and she blogs over at Organized Chaos.
I'm Shana. I started Organized Chaos as a way to connect with other moms and other expat/immigrants. Now the blog has developed into a place to just record our lives. I share day to day craziness that happens when mixing cultures as well as the ups and downs of parenting. I also like to talk about our faith in Christ and who can resist a good recipe or two!?
2. You recently moved to South Africa. That's so crazy! What's it like and why did you decide to make that change?
I laugh because everyone seems to think it is crazy but for me it finally felt normal! It's a long story actually which you can read about on my The Boys page. But truthfully, it was just where God was sending me. For a while I didn't know why but once I met Hubby and got here, I knew I was home. If I really think about it, there are differences but most days I forget I'm not in America. I won't lie though, it's awesome being here! I'm always encouraging people to take a vacation here. It's so much cheaper for Americans than they actually realize (compared to the general cost of over seas holidays) and it is a country like non other. It is really nothing like what is portrayed on TV!
3. Isn't South Africa on opposite seasons from the US? That would make it winter by you. Is it weird having winter in August? What's that like?
Yes, it is winter here now. The winter being in the summer isn't so hard to accept. South Africa doesn't celebrate most of the American holidays so winter is the easy one. It's been harder to accept it being hot for Christmas! I can't get used to having a braai (a cook-out) and swimming on Christmas. I love the season and it still just doesn't feel like Christmas here. I can't wait to take my family to see a "white Christmas" one year!
4. What are are some of your favorite parts of motherhood?
That's a hard question. There is so much I love. Honestly, I feel very blessed as a mom. I have a lot of support here from my Hubby and family which has made things easier and overall, I have very easy children! I would say my favorite part is the unconditional love. It doesn't matter how bad our morning was, when I walk through that door in the evening they're excited to see me. I love the completeness I feel around them.
5. You claim to be organized obsessed. What are some organization tips you can offer? I'm sure lots of us could use them.
I absolutely love organization and although my house is lacking it a little right now (I'm struggling to get settled from our move) I am constantly striving for it. My biggest tip is to get yourself a planner you can work with. Whether you like computer generated ones or a physical one where you can write in like me, find one that works for you. I've finally got mine created to where it encompasses work, home and blog. For me, I can't survive without it!
As well, there aren't really rules to organization. Find the system in your house that compliments your family. If your sense of organization in your kitchen means things are in labeled containers on your counter, then go for it! Be creative. Don't thing organizing means things in boxes. It is actually just finding the path that keeps you and your family together with the most simplicity and peace!
6. Tell us 3 fun facts about you.
1) I was an only child until I was 18!
2) I'm really impulsive. Now with children I have to keep this in check, but I'm truly a person that would come home from work one day and say to my Hubby lets move back to the sea! I love spur of the moment things.
3) I'm not a big drinker but I love whiskey! It seems crazy (and don't think I dis my wine!) but a little crown royal is the way to go!
Make sure you follow Shana on Facebook, Twitter, Bloglovin, Instagram, Google+ and Pinterest! She's also giving away some great ad space so make sure to enter below!